Sunday, September 16, 2007

There's no place like home!!!!











Hi Everyone!! So sorry that we haven't posted in 10(!!)days but what a long, strange trip it's been! We are in fact home safe and sound and Hannah is doing well. The day after our last post was a terrible one. Hannah began running a fever on the boat cruise and we started her on some infant Tylenol that night. She had a good night's sleep and a decent breakfast but then suffered a febrile seizure during her nap (while lying in my arms). We had no idea what was happening and thus, were terrified. Luckily, we were still a few hours away from checking out of the White Swan and we were able to rush her to the clinic on the 3rd floor of the hotel. The doctors immediately gave her a shot to bring her fever down and mistakenly thought that she had tonsilitis and her tonsils had swelled, cutting off her airway resulting in the seizure. Since we've been home and seen our pediatrician, we now know that this is not the case. Her temperature spiked suddenly which results in a convulsion which causes no permanent damage..just shaves a few years off the life of the parents who witness it! The next 48 hours were pretty hateful because all we could do was worry - about Hannah, about having to shoot horrible tasting antibiotics down her throat(which she of course fought off like the incredibly strong girl she is on the bus to Hong Kong, the hotel in Hong Kong and the lovely 15 hour plane ride home) and about getting through the "laser temperature scanner" at the Hong Kong border with a feverish child. I wish I were kidding. Rob and I have never experienced this level of stress and hope we never have to again. God love the man who sat across the aisle from us on that flight to Newark because Hannah is impervious to Benadryl and must have thrown every toy we brought on the plane at or near him at various points. Everything was better when we made it through immigration(Yeah for new American citizen Hannah En Ming!!) and feasted our eyes on Riley Jane!! She broke Port Authority protocol and came running up the ramp yelling "Mommy!" and there were big hugs all around. We looked up to see my Mom and Dad, Godmother Debbie and Aunt Anna all in tears. What a welcome! Once back in Cold Spring, Riley surprised us with balloons, signs and cupcakes and we all had some dinner and collapsed. The rest of the week is a bit of a blur. Lots of jet lag moments for Rob, Hannah and I and a bit of regression on Hannah's part but who could blame the poor child? I felt like screaming in rage a lot of the time too and I hadn't just been kidnapped out of my country and made to live with 3 strange looking people who speak a foreign language. I'm totally amazed that she's dealing with all this as well as she is. That said, I have to admit my anxiety of waiting has now been replaced with the fatigue of being a new mom. I am wiped!! Happy, but wiped!! Kudos to all the mothers of two or more kids - I have newfound respect. What a crazy balancing act! It's great to sit at the breakfast table with all 4 chairs occupied at long last, though. We made it...we're home.

2 comments:

Ren said...

WOO HOO HOOOOO!!!

I've been dying for an update. I'm so happy and thrilled to see the pictures of those two neices together.

Ren said...

Katie,

You've done an amazing job with this blog. I feel like I'm there with you guys listening to the stories and I can't thank you enough for doing this. I know Hannah will cherish it, but I wanted you to know how much it means to the rest of us too.

Ren.